The Parent Advisory Committee (PAC) is a group of parents committed to promoting interaction among families, teachers and community partners to build the TIS community, support the teachers and support each other. We provide information to parents, parent perspective to the school administration, fundraising to support the teachers and school, and we organize fun community events and we help to coordinate volunteer efforts around the school. As fellow TIS parents, we can also serve as a resource to answer questions or identify the right school resource.
The International School at Mesa del Sol depends on significant parent involvement to make our school one of the best schools in Albuquerque. Each family is expected to commit to 20 hours per year of volunteer service to the school. The volunteer activities at the school are coordinated by the Parent Advisory Committee.
The committee is open to all members of the TIS community and meets once a month. PAC Meetings are held on the 1st Thursday of the Month at 3:45 PM in room 3.
Meeting Topics for 2016-2017 School Year
September: Everything a TIS Parent Needs to Know
October: What is IB?
November: Understanding the IB Learner Profile
December/January: Topics from the Special Education Department
February: What Are All These Tests?
March: Health and Nutrition
April: International Baccalaureate: Exhibition and Personal Projects
May: Summer Reading
Additional Topics for Each Meeting:
Donation Items: TIS can use these Donation-Items 2016-2017. If you have access to these items, please bring them to the office. If you have questions, email TISPAC@tisnm.org
8/27/16 – Back To School Picnic
9/1/16 – PAC Meeting
9/15/16 Main Event Community Night
9/30/16 – Fun Friday
10/13/16 PAC Meeting
10/30/16 – Monsters On The Mesa
11/16/16-11/22/16 – Book Fair
Fun Friday: Fun Friday is a fun afternoon for students and families put on by the PAC.
Monsters On The Mesa: Our main fundraiser of the year is a 10K, 5K and 1K run. The Halloween themed event also includes a fall festival with fun activities, trick or treating and a costume contest.
Other Fundraising: PAC uses a variety of fundraising opportunities.
Room Parents: A room parent facilitates communication between parents and the teachers. A room parent supports the teacher in needs that may arise throughout the year. Serving as a room parent, although an ongoing activity does not need to take much time on a day-to-day basis. Although as the room parent you have first choice on volunteer opportunities, the goal is to bring more families from the community into the classroom. Serving as the room parent will meet the 20 hour volunteer requirement for the family. Examples of activities include:
- Meeting with the teacher to discuss the role he or she would like the room parent to play.
- Sending home a letter with children in order to collect the names and phone numbers of all the parents in the class.
- Meeting with other room parents and/or the PAC as needed.
- Contacting parents or local businesses to obtain donations of supplies for the classroom and/or events (i.e., boxes of tissues for the classroom or supplies for in-class projects).
- Collecting donations for and purchase gifts for the teacher for special occasions. These might include holidays (Christmas, Valentine’s Day, and/or Teacher Appreciation Day), his or her birthday, the end of the school year and other special events such as a baby or wedding shower, get well, etc.
- Finding volunteers to help in the classroom for one-time and on-going activities.
- Acting as a resource by answering questions for parents new to the school or class.
- Communicating about and assisting with school-wide events.
|Spending Element||Budget Amount|
|Rotating Fundraising (e.g. money we are using to buy gift cards, t-shirts etc for sale)||$1,000.00|